Self care is purposeful action that an individual takes to ensure their well-being. Well-being can include; emotional health, mental health, physical health, and spiritual health.
What self care looks like is different for each person because we all have unique needs and interests.
We are each at our own place in understanding our self care needs and developing an approach to self care that is effective for us. Some people are amazing at making self care a priority and others struggle with this area. Some people can clearly identify their unique needs for self care and others are unsure what is effective for them. With this in mind, I invite you to consider the following questions in determining how to move forward in your approach to self care.
- What does quality self care look like for you?
- Considering the definition of well being described above, what are the areas of your well-being that you do a good job addressing? What are the areas where you struggle? Why do you struggle in these areas?
- What nourishes each of the areas of your well-being?
- Who supports you in getting the self care that you need? How specifically do these individuals show their support?
- Who could you ask to support you in making self care more of a priority, if needed? In what specific ways could those individuals support you?
- How can you tell when you are getting quality self care?
- How can you tell when you need more self care?
- What allows you to make self care a priority? What gets in the way of you making self care a priority?
- What is one self care activity that you can implement this week? How can you hold yourself accountable in implementing this activity?
Hopefully these questions helped you identify strengths in your current approach to self care and perhaps areas that you can work on.
Ready, Set, Take Care of YOU!
If you are interested in reading more about self care you may be interested in:
- Continuing to follow my self care blog series. The series will include at least 7 blog posts (between January-June 2015) all focused on the topic of self care. My newsletter and Facebook page will be utilized to share when new blog posts are available.
- Reading the last post regarding self care which included quotes to motivate you!
- Attending one of my upcoming free self care workshops. For more information please visit http://sarahleitschuhcounseling.com/free-workshops/